Fifth Grade Enrichment: Public Speaking and Debate
Course Goals: Over the course of the marking period, we will be addressing many topics including:
- what claims are and how authors/speakers make them effective.
- how to conduct research, analyze sources, and cite them properly.
- how to write, organize, and present an argument.
- how to analyze and respond to arguments and claims thoughtfully and respectfully.
- Students will be responsible and respectful to peers, teacher, and classroom environment.
- Students will be positive and demonstrate appropriate behavior and maturity.
- Students will be prepared to learn everyday with necessary materials (including computers, homework, pen/pencil, etc.).
- Students will gain an understanding of effective oral and written argumentation strategies.
- Students will learn and have fun!
- Assignments will be weighted by points. Class will contain individual and collaborative projects as well as nightly homework. Homework (unless otherwise noted) will be graded based on completion/effort. All projects will have accompanying rubrics.
- Work submitted after due date will receive lateness deduction. Students are encouraged to submit work, even if credit will be reduced.
- Students will work collaboratively, but individual students are responsible for their own work and plagiarism is not acceptable.
- Course content is based on 5th Grade NJ ELA Standards with special emphasis on Informational Texts, Writing, and Speaking and Listening (http://www.state.nj.us/education/cccs/2016/ela/g05.pdf)