Houghton Mifflin Reading Program
Second Grade Parent Summary
The program's components are:
* phonics decoding
* high-frequency words
* comprehension skills
* reading strategies
* spelling, grammar, and writing
It is through this theme approach that the reading skills are taught, practiced and assessed.
* Each theme is three weeks in length.
* During this time the students learn phonics decoding skills and are taught high
* Students practice reading strategies and develop comprehension skills.
* Students learn how to grammatically spell, speak and write.
This practical reading approach meets student needs through:
* teacher instruction* guided reading
* small group instruction
* peer interactive practice
* additional reading practice in flexible groups
* home/evening reading practices
To support this program, parents and guardians can:
* Be attentive to the daily and weekly schedules that your child follows in the reading
* Practice the weekly sounds your child learns.
* Practice the high frequency words, so your child can read and write these words
* Have your child read to you, asking those questions that answer who? what? when?
where? why? how? about the reading they do.
* Model good reading for your child and help to develop a love for reading!